Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Cody, Wyoming to Jackson, Wyoming via YELLOWSTONE & GRAND TETON National Parks

Since we began planning this trip all mom would say was "I just want to see a bear".  Everytime we got in the car we'd hear the same thing!  Our stays in these quaint little towns have been nice, we did not have enough time to tour the historic downtowns, but we did manage to take our time through Yellowstone National Park!  AND boy was it worth it.  Dain has been great AND very patient.  He stopped often, so I could snap pics of my loves - water & CRITTERS.  To be quite honest, by the time we left Yellowstone, I was feeling a little "yellow around the gills."  The forest is so THICK and the water so frequent, right at the shoulder of the road at times, it was making me very claustrophobic.  But I made it through and did not yak!  As soon as we got into Yellowstone, the picture taking began!  First off, right outside of Cody, there was this HUGE dam and lake.  The ranger there said this lake has all species of trout.  So close to a fishin' hole and me without a pole.  Here's those pictures:

Here fishy, fishy!


There was a dam tour, but we opted out since we had a LONG day ahead!
Off to Yellowstone we go!  And what does mom say, "all I want to see is a bear...wah wah wah"
We all acted like we NEVER saw water before!!

Waterfall near the entrance

"Mira que nice!"  Tata's favorite saying on this trip.

Lots of snow still....I don't think it ever melts.

There's the buffalo we heard so much about!

Another lake!  Water every where you looked
We always laughed because we felt like we were on a tour bus, "Get on the bus, get off the bus, take pics, get back on the bus, off the bus.  Sleep, and then get back on the bus off the bus.  We did actually follow a tour bus!  And then it was really hilarious, because we were truly on a "bus route."  Okay back to pics.
These geysers are everywhere & they STINK.  Sulphur smell reminded me of Miami, AZ

This was the first critter we saw inside Yellowstone

These guys riding the rapids on a swiftly moving river

Pelicans - I found it strange that there were pelicans here! 
Geese, from a distance I thought it was a herd of deer or elk.
Then we really saw some elk!  Pretty big ones.  We learned that when there were tourists stopped on the side of the road, and running with cameras, there was something to see!  You really have to be careful, because most people seem to forget they are crossing a road!  Pretty crazy.  Anyways, this is what they were running to see.
ELK, for those of you who don't know your wildlife!

Still in felt



These two gals, were playing chase!
The antlers you saw earlier belonged to him, he finally stood up!
Okay, the bus driver had to drag me away from this photo stop, he said we had a lot more to see!  And dad said he wanted to see OLD FAITHFUL.  He's read so much about it, he had to see it.  So off we go..(again)!  Get in the bus....
We made it to Old Faithful, FINALLY!  Then we saw what a walk it was to get there.  Dad did his best, and he did make it to the seating area.  AND I tell you what - as we sat there waiting, it was like watching paint dry.  I was thinking, "really we are waiting here to see this?"  But once it happened it was well worth the wait.  Every nationality was represented there I'm sure.  People from all walks of life, waiting to see!



We sat and stared at this for about 45 minutes....really??
Then it started!
Dain started a TRAFFIC jam when he pulled over because he saw these gals, sunbathing on the side of the road! Ha Ha Ha.
And then there was MORE water!!  And everybody wants their picture taken by the water.  Geeze, we must be from AZ and not used to water.
OK, so that was Yellowstone, and it was GREAT, and late!  And we still had approximately 50 miles to travel to Jackson.  It was getting to be dusk, and I was a little scared - I did not want to be traveling through the forest in the DARK!  Mom was still whining, "I want to see a bear."  She called her girlfriend, and whined to her too!  She decided she would have to go back home, and see a bear at Horseshoe Lake in the White mountains.  We then entered the Grand Tetons National Park.  I suddenly overcame my weariness about getting off the road before dark.  It was GRAND, beautiful jagged mountains.  I begged Dain to let me stop and take some pics, and he so graciously allowed me to take some pics.


OK, photos out of the way and off we go!  Still no bear, and then we see a few cars up ahead stopped, but then Dain says BEAR, there's a bear!  We pulled over safely, to a designated spot, and grabbed my camera, and off I went!


A grizzly bear!  It was awesome.  He wanted to head towards the road, but changed his mind.

This is the grassy area he was at, willows and sage brush.  I guess they hunt in here early summer because the elk hide their calves in these tall grasses.
We made it to Jackson, Wyoming!  It was LATE.  WAY past my bedtime.
Ok so mom got to not only see a bear, but a grizzly bear!  How can you top that?  I did not expect to see a bear, much less a grizzly.  And to see the terrain it was in, I was surprised.  Jackson is a very touristy spot, reminds me of Telluride, CO.  Pricey, lots of tourist, and mountain bikers everywhere.  The town provides you with an orange flag, to wave as you cross the street, so you don't get hit by a car!  We have landed safely in Salt Lake City, UT.  We're going to have dinner with Nanny Goat (my sister), and then we head west to Page, AZ spend the night, and get back on the bus.....








No comments:

Post a Comment